This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.



17 Feb 2021
© Brian Little/PressEye Lyndon Kane celebrates scoring Coleraine's winner
There were away wins for Coleraine and Glentoran while it finished all square at both Milltown and Mourneview Park as the Danske Bank Premiership continued with another four midweek games.
Coleraine stretched their unbeaten run to nine games with victory over derby rivals Ballymena United. The Bannsiders had the ball in the net twice, both disallowed, before skipper Lyndon Kane finally found a way through just after the hour with a superbly struck left-foot strike from the edge of the area.
Glentoran also picked up three points on the road in the streamed game against Portadown at Shamrock Park.
The visitors needed just two minutes to open the scoring after recent signing Conor McMenamin sent a right-footed volley past Jacob Carney after being teed up by Robbie McDaid.
It was 2-0 just before the half-hour mark. Portadown defender Greg Hall was adjudged to have handled the ball as he tussled with McDaid to get to a Jay Donnelly cross. Not only did Hall concede the penalty but he was also sent-off to reduce the Ports to ten men. Then, once the dust had settled, Hrvoje Plum stepped up to convert the spot-kick despite Carney getting a touch.
Lee Bonis pulled one back for the Ports early in the second half after dispossessing Patrick McClean before going past the advancing Dayle Coleing to slot into the empty net.
However, the Glens did restore their two-goal advantage on 66 minutes after Plum did well to find the space to deliver a low ball into the box for Donnelly to slot home from close range.
Carrick Rangers maintained their recent good run by coming from a goal down to earn a point from their visit to Mourneview Park to face Glenavon.
Michael O'Connor fired Glenavon into the lead with a free-kick from out on the left which bypassed everyone in the penalty area before ending up in the bottom corner.
However, Carrick levelled early in the second half. Alex Gawne got past keeper Craig Hyland and sent the ball towards goal but Sean Ward blatantly saved with his hands on the line, giving referee Jamie Robinson no option but to send him off and award a spot-kick which Caolan Loughran duly clinically converted.
Meanwhile, Warrenpoint Town and Dungannon Swifts battled to a share of the spoils at Milltown.
The deadlock was broken in Dungannon's favour just before the hour. Michael Carvill darted down the left before crossing for Rhyss Campbell who ran onto the ball to direct it past Gabriel Sava.
But 'Point levelled ten minutes later with a superb strike from substitute Thomas Maguire after he connected with a throw-in that had been flicked on and, with his back to goal, he turned the ball over Roy Carroll and into the top corner.