Aaron Arkinson (18)


Paul Smith (15)
Garth Falconer (58)
Philip Wallace (67)
Sean McEvoy (OG) (70)


Paul Smith opened the scoring for Dergview (Picture: Philip Magowan/PressEye.com)


Dergview ran out comfortable winners against neighbours Ballinamallard United in a first derby meeting between the sides in six seasons at Ferney Park.

Dergview took the lead when Paul Smith picked the pocket of a defender to round Connolly and open the scoring after a quarter-of-an-hour.

That advantage lasted barely three minutes. A perfectly-weighted ball over the top by Nathan Cashel was met by Aaron Arkinson who galloped through to lob over Alan Buchanan and into a gaping net.

Both teams then had opportunities to take a half-time lead. Buchanan touched over a Ben McCann header from a Jay McCartney free kick before Adam Dougherty flashed across goal after turning Matty Smyth in the wake of a probing pass from Matthew Kirk.

The second half began with Ryan Campbell flashing wide on the turn and moments later substitute Warner Mullen just failed to get a touch on a driven low cross after good play by Sean McEvoy and Arkinson on the right.

Thereafter the visitors took control and it was Garth Falconer, who scored a thunderous 30-yard volley against HW Welders seven days earlier, who set the Derg men on their way to victory just after the hour.

Adam Buchanan took a quick throw-in to Smith on the right and after receiving the ball back again whipped over an inviting cross which Falconer headed high to John Connolly's top left despite the keeper getting a hand to the ball.

The visitors were now full of running and with Mattie Callaghan and Philip Wallace coming off the bench to up the tempo even further, Peter Allen's men scented blood.

Nine minutes later it was 3-1. After good play by Blaine Burns, left-back Mattie Buchanan played the ball down the left to Dougherty, who ushered in Callaghan and he crossed low for Wallace to slide home at the back post.

Shortly afterwards Dougherty flicked on an Adam Buchanan pass to Andrew Sproule and the lightening-quick attacker dashed past McCann to drill in a wicked low cross which McEvoy could only turn into his own net.

Ballinamallard United: Connolly, Taheny, Smyth, Arkinson, Campbell, McCartney, Edgar, Cashel, McCann, Henderson, McEvoy subs Mullen (replaced McCartney 46), Kelly (replaced Edgar 65), Harney (not used), Warrington (not used), Robb (replaced Cashel 74)

Dergview: Al. Buchanan, Ad. Buchanan, M. Buchanan, McNulty, Maxwell, Burns, Sproule, Kirk, Dougherty, Smith, Falconer subs Doherty (replaced Dougherty 84), Hargan (not used), McCorkell (not used), Callaghan (replaced Kirk 48), Wallace (replaced Smith 65)

Referee: Neil Robinson