• JFile: :copy: Cannot find or read file: $/home/mharris/public_html/images/stories/garyworkman121112.jpg

Gary Workman (Picture: Mervyn McClelland/


LARNE collected their first victory of the season with this defeat of Limavady United at Inver Park.

Graham McConnell's side moved in front midway through the first half when Paul Maguire snapped up a loose ball to slam it into the net from five yards out.

United had a great chance to equalise when Trevor Parkhill's cross-field ball was met on the volley by Richard Close but he blasted over from inside the box.

Gareth McConaghie then nearly fooled Nathan Morley-Hillen by bending a free kick round the wall but the ball skimmed just past the post.

The game took a significant turn on 38 minutes when Dessie Donnelly caught McConaghie late and was given a second yellow card.

The half ended with a flurry of chances for the Roesiders. McConaghie's long distance shot was easily saved.

Then Parkhill had a shot parried, and from a corner Ruairi McClean had a header cleared off the line.

The second half started with another spurned United chance as players were queuing up in the box to force the ball home but at least three efforts were blocked and the chance was gone.

It was clear that United needed to get on terms quickly but instead they nearly went further behind when Maguire won a tussle with McConaghie but McCormick was able to clear.

On 56 minutes Cathair Friel let fly with a powerful volley but it was tipped over and from the resultant corner McConaghie's shot hit the outside of the stanchion.

United's frustration was growing and not even the introduction of live wire Billy Doran could break the Larne rearguard.

Inevitably Larne, having been under pressure for so long, finally broke out on 84 minutes and as the ball was loose in the United box, a defensive error saw the ball passed across to Gary Workman who was able to fire the ball into the net and spark scenes of wild jubilation.

Tags:  Larne  Limavady Utd