• JFile: :copy: Cannot find or read file: $/home/mharris/public_html/images/stories/davidplatt.jpg

Limavady United boss David Platt (Picture: Mervyn McClelland/


LIMAVADY staged a late rally to snatch the points from Glebe on Saturday, but Glebe will be devastated at losing a game in which they had taken a deserved 2-0 half time lead and looked in total control against a disjointed home side.

The visitors started brightly and took the lead on eight minutes when Turner had a simple task to head home from close range as he got away from his marker to give McCormick no chance.
United were rocked but could have equalised five minutes later when Friel beat the offside trap but Doey just got a hand to the striker's chip and McLaughlin fired the loose ball wide with the goal gaping.

United could easily have fallen further behind two minutes later when Elder cut inside and let fly with a low shot that McCormick did well to save.

There were no more chances in a very poor first half until the 33rd minute when Patrick's header went just wide of the visitors' post.

United's best chance of the half saw Forgrave head McLean's close range effort out from under the post from a corner.

That effort apart, United were creating nothing to threaten a comeback.

But Glebe were gifted their second on 41 minutes when McCormick mis-kicked and Turner gleefully pounced on the loose ball to slam the ball into the undefended goal for his second.

United were unable to create any momentum as the second half started, and Glebe carried the greater threat.

Early in, Ian Parkhill had a free header that Roddy blocked.

Just after the hour the same player was through one on one with McCormick but his weak shot was straight at the keeper.

Next minute more confusion in the home defence saw the ball fall to the same player in the box unmarked but his shot curled wide of the post which should really have killed off the contest.

It was not until the 72nd minute that United had a chance, and Gareth McConachie made no mistake as he fired in a trademark free kick past the wall and into the corner well out of Doey's reach, but there was no sense that this was anything more than a consolation.

Glebe's last meaningful chance was Ian Parkhill's shot on the turn three minutes later but it went wide. United sensed their chance and Patrick went close with a low point blank header from five yards out that went straight to Doey.

Almost immediately substitute Doherty forced an even better reaction block from the keeper, and Glebe now had only to see out the last fifteen minutes, which initially they seemed to be managing without too much difficulty.

But with five minutes left United finally drew level. Friel wriggled free of his marker and whipped over an accurate cross that Divin met inside the box and this time Doey could do nothing.

It was almost a carbon copy of Glebe's opener and it was a hammer blow to the visitors.

If this was bad enough, worse was to follow in the last minute of regulation time, as Limavady poured forward in search of an improbable winner which arrived in the most unfortunate of circumstances, as McLean was in hand to force the ball over the line from close range after the unfortunate Doey saw the ball bounce off his chest out of his grasp, and straight to the onrushingLimavady midfielder who could not miss.

So United gleaned three valuable points in a game that looked well out of their reach with less than twenty minutes remaining.

If Glebe had taken their chances at the start of the second half they would certainly have killed off the home side, who will need to improve significantly if they are to move up the table.

Tags:  Limavady Utd