• JFile: :copy: Cannot find or read file: $/home/mharris/public_html/images/stories/david-platt.jpg

Limavady United manager David Platt


A GOAL in each half meant that United had a fruitless trip to The Marshes on Friday evening.

But the Roesiders had chances to take the points before the sending off of Cathair Friel for dissent killed the game as a contest.

United were without the suspended Gareth McConachie for this game but welcomed back Kevin Roddy to the heart of the defence.

They started brightly, with Walsh shooting over from the edge of the box in the second minute, and Friel bursting through sixty seconds later forcing Buchanan to block his shot.

City hit back, with a thunderbolt from Mallon which cannoned off the crossbar as McCormick watched.

There were still only seven minutes on the clock when Parkhill's long range free kick had Buchanan scrambling.

He was at it again on 20 minutes, but his free this time was watched closely as it whistled past the post.

The impressive Darren Freeman then burst through the heart of United's defence but as he bore down on goal he was taken out by McCormick who was perhaps fortunate to escape with a caution.

The resultant free kick went over the wall but also over the bar.

However the opening goal came shortly afterwards, when Hanaphy exploited confusion in the visitors' defence, nipping in between the static Walsh and McCormick to coolly flick the ball over the stranded goalkeeper and into an empty net.

It was yet another avoidable goal of the type which has plagued United all season.

It nearly got worse shortly afterwards, as McCormick raced out of his area and was forced to chest down the ball which was picked up by a Newry player who whipped the ball back into the box for Grant who really should have scored with his close range header.

United gradually regained control, and on 39 minutes had a great chance to equalise when Friel darted through the heart of the home defence and fed McLaughlin who drew Buchanan and fired a hard low shot goalwards, but a despairing stop on the line by Hutchinson saved a certain goal.

As the rain poured down, Brian Mallon missed a great chance to add to the lead, collecting a loose ball but side footing wide with the goal gaping.

United finished the half on the attack, with Parkhill miskicking when lurking in the edge if the box to connect with Friel's dangerous cross.

The second half saw United continue to press without creating any clear cut chance.

But the game turned on 54 minutes when Friel went over in the box and his resultant protest saw him get a straight red card for dissent.

Two minutes later the contest was effectively over, when Donegan rose unchallenged to head in a right wing corner. It was another preventable goal.

Just after the hour Grant's free kick hit the bar. Ten minutes later McCormick went some way to redeem his earlier error when he produced a fine save to turn Hanaphy's volley round the post.

Two minutes later he did the same in response to Hand's piledriver.

United's misery was complete when referee Campbell declined to give a penalty after substitute Blackburn was brought down just inside the box, opting to give a free kick which was wasted.

But by now they were a beaten side. So United slipped to an expected defeat, but if they had taken their early chances could have asked hard questions of the home side.

Tags:  Limavady Utd