Jamie Willighan (26)
Dale Maxwell (OG) (31)


Paul Smith (23)
Paul Smith (75)


Paul Smith scored twice for Dergview (Picture: Philip Magowan/PressEye.com)


Two Paul Smith goals helped earn Dergview a much needed point from this visit to face Ballyclare Comrades at Dixon Park.

After a quiet start to the game it was the visitors who threatened first, when in the 10th minute Garth Falconer made space for a shot from the edge of the box, but keeper Ben Fry was well-placed to save.

Three minutes later Dergview were unfortunate not to take the lead, when a low ball into the box was met first-time by Andrew Sproule, whose effort from 12 yards came back off the bar.

The first goal of the game came in the 23rd minute, when Paul Smith got to a through ball at the right edge of the box before the out-rushing Fry and finished well into the unguarded net.

Comrades, who had been rather subdued until then, reacted well to conceding. On 26 minutes, Dergview keeper Tom Hegan had to make a good save to turn a 30-yard Samuel McIlveen free-kick wide of his post. From the resulting corner the ball was only cleared out to Gary Brown, who played it back into the box, where Jamie Willighan got his head to it, his effort going out of the reach of the keeper and into the net from nine yards.

Comrades now looked dangerous and on the half hour Joe McWilliams saw a goal-bound effort from 13 yards cleared in front of the line by a defender, after the ball had broke to him from a corner.

A minute later the home side hit the front. A corner, played in by McIlveen, caused panic in the box with the ball going into the net off Dergview defender Dale Maxwell under pressure from Willighan.

The second half started in scrappy fashion, as the weather deteriorated, and the rain blew in. There was little to trouble either keeper until the 69th minute when Hegan got his positioning right to save from a McIlveen free-kick, struck from just outside the angle of the box.

The visitors had gained a good portion of possession in the half and were beginning to look more threatening when they grabbed an equaliser. Comrades conceded a free-kick 20 yards from goal on 75 minutes and Smith stepped up to fire an excellent effort into the top corner of the net.

Six minutes later a quick break forward by the visitors saw them get behind the home defence and only a trip by Eoin Kane prevented Smith getting through on goal. Kane was sent-off for denying a goal scoring opportunity and Smith stepped up to hit a free-kick from just outside the box which rattled the crossbar.

The dangerous Smith almost got his name on the scoresheet again on 84 minutes, when his cross-shot from just outside the box on the left came off the top of the bar.

Ballyclare Comrades: Fry, Woods, McIlveen, Wright, McWilliams, Trussell, Kane, Gray, Willighan, Robinson, Brown subs Dobbin (replaced Brown 75), Tully (not used), Kirk (not used), Donnelly (not used)

Dergview: Hegan, Crawford, Maxwell, M. Buchanan, Burns, Falconer, Callaghan, Smith, Sproule, Kirk, Wallace subs Logue (not used), McGlynn (replaced Crawford 58), G. Doherty (not used), A. Doherty (not used)

Referee: Diarmuid Harrigan

Tags:  Ballyclare Comrades  Dergview