Darren Bell (25)
Timothy Clarke (82)


Timmy Clarke celebrates his goal in the 2-0 win at The Showgrounds (Picture: David Hunter)


After a slow opening, the game sparked into life on 25 minutes when Timmy Clarke got in behind the home defence to deliver the cross to which Darren Bell got his head to direct the ball beyond the reach of 'keeper Peter Murphy.

Clarke might have added a second not long after that when he lost his marker wide of the left but, on this occasion, his low drilled effort was turned away by the home 'keeper.

This appeared to spark some life into Newry and they almost drew level, Declan Carville breaking through the Whites defence before laying off a backheel for Jimmy Walker who spotted 'keeper Tony Galbraith had drifted off his line and attempted to curl the ball over his head only to see it cannon back off the crossbar.

The visitors were reduced to ten men soon after when Tirrell McCrory was sent-off following a challenge on Thomas McCann.

Newry almost made their numerical advantage count when Kevin McArdle forced Galbraith into turning the ball around an upright.

Moving into the second half City found they were largely restricted to half chances with Sean McMullan and then Carville carving out the best of what they could muster.

However, the Whites put the game beyond doubt with eight minutes remaining when Clarke unleashed an unstoppable effort beyond Murphy.

And, indeed, it was almost 3-0 in the closing moments had Paul Young's clever chip not come back off the crossbar.

Newry City: Murphy, McArdle, King, McCaul, Mullen, Walker, McCann, Carville, Patton, Havern, Hughes subs McMullan (replaced McArdle 70), Johnston (replaced Havern 65), Edgar (not used), McMahon (not used), Curran (not used)

Lisburn Distillery: Galbraith, Doherty, Curley, McMurty, Clarke, McCrory, Bell, Harris, Young, Lynch, McCaw subs McCrea (not used), Brown (not used), Knowles (replaced Lynch 90), Johnston (replaced Bell 84), Hamilton (not used)

Referee: David Kelly

Tags:  Lisburn Distillery  Newry City