Curtis Allen (47)
Robbie McDaid (53)


Robbie McDaid bagged Glentoran's second goal (Picture: Stephen Hamilton/


Glentoran kept up their unbeaten start to the season with this two-goal defeat of Warrenpoint Town at The Oval.

Nathan Kerr came close to breaking the deadlock when, after 12 minutes, he smashed an effort against an upright from the edge of the area.

Later in the first half Robbie McDaid saw an effort deflected off the chest of Stephen Moan only for the ball to drop just inches past the post

For the visitors Lorcan Forde came close from ten yards, Sean Mackle forced Elliott Morris into a save at full stretch, Dale McCrerry fired just over while Conor McMenamin was thwarted after Darren Murray took the ball past James Ferrin to create the opening.

The deadlock was broken just a couple of minutes into the second half when Curtis Allen unleashed a perfectly weighted free-kick into the top left corner from a couple of yards outside the area.

Then, six minutes after that, McDaid made it 2-0 after he held off a couple of challenges to poke the ball home from close range.

Warrenpoint twice came close to hauling themselves back into the game when, first, Mackle cracked the ball against the woodwork before Darren Murray could only a direct a point blank header straight at Morris.

However, those two goals proved enough for Glentoran to run out victors as 'Point ended the game with ten men following Murray's late dismissal for two back-to-back bookings.

Glentoran: Morris, Kerr, Kane, Birney, Allen, McDaid, McMullan, McNicholl, Knowles, Delaney, Ferrin subs Addis (replaced McDaid 71), Kelly (replaced Knowles 46), Smith (not used), McCawl (replaced McNicholl 69), Foley (not used)

Warrenpoint Town: Parr, Foster, McCreery, Moan, Lyttle, Mackle, McMenamin, D. Murray, Forde, McKenna, McCafferty subs M. Murray (replaced Forde 71), S. Murray (replaced McCreery 59), Blayney (not used), Roohi (not used), T.J. Murray (replaced McMenamin 64)

Referee: Evan Boyce

Attendance: 1574

Tags:  Glentoran  Warrenpoint Town