Joe Gormley (70)


Andrew McGrory (66p)
Andrew Mitchell (68)
Andrew Mitchell (74)


Andrew Mitchell celebrates scoring for Glenavon (©INPHO/Matt Mackey)


Andrew Mitchell scored twice as Glenavon strengthened their claim for a third place finish with this defeat of Cliftonville at Solitude.

Joe Gormley might have fired the Reds in front as early as the sixth minute only to flick the ball past the post.

At the other end Mark Sykes curled a free-kick around the wall but Brian Neeson pulled off a full length diving save to turn the ball away.

And Neeson produced another great save to tip the ball over as Joel Cooper came in from the left to test him with a fizzing effort.

Not to be outdone, Johnny Tuffey produced a fantastic save of his own just before the break to thwart a Rory Donnelly effort after Chris Curran had crossed the ball into the box.

Conor McDonald then sent a shot narrowly wide early in the second half while Jaimie McGovern blocked a Cooper attempt at the other end.

The deadlock was broken on 66 minutes. Neeson misjudged a ball into the box and with Cooper through on goal he was brought down by McGovern, who received a straight red card for the challenge. Andy McGrory then stepped up to knock the resultant spot-kick into the bottom right corner.

Then, four minutes after that, it was 2-0 with Andy Mitchell this time finding the top corner after Neeson failed to deal with a bouncing ball.

But Cliftonville reduced the deficit just two minutes after that, slamming a Curran corner past Tuffey.

However, Mitchell restored Glenavon's two-goal advantage with just over a quarter-of-an-hour to go when he touched the ball over the line after Sykes had flicked on a Cooper ball.

BBC Sport NI coverage

Cliftonville: Neeson, McGovern, Ives, Harney, Curran, Harkin, Gormley, J. Donnelly, Grimes, McDonald, R. Donnelly subs Dunne (not used), Garrett (replaced McDonald 78), Winchester (replaced Harkin 85), Lavery (not used), Cosgrove (not used)

Glenavon: Tuffey, Burns, Kelly, Doyle, Norton, Marshall, Mitchell, Griffin, Sykes, McGrory, Cooper subs E. Foley (not used), Marron (replaced Kelly 90), O'Mahony (not used), Daniels (replaced McGrory 83), Murray (replaced Griffin 51)

Referee: Evan Boyce

Attendance: 1284

Tags:  Cliftonville  Glenavon