(©INPHO/Brian Little)


Linfield picked up two potentially crucial away goals from a 2-2 draw with HB Torshavn in their UEFA Europa League Second Qualifying Round clash in the Faroe Islands.

The Blues got off to a perfect start when, inside the opening minute, Andy Waterworth found the net with a low finish after connecting with a Chris Casement cross.

Despite this early setback HB pushed hard in search of the equaliser, forcing debutant Linfield keeper Rohan Ferguson into a number of saves before he was finally beaten eight minutes from the break courtesy of Adrian Justinussen's successfully converted spot-kick.

The sides traded chances in the second half with Linfield's best effort coming courtesy of a Niall Quinn cross which the home defence failed to clear before Jordan Stewart's follow-up was turned away by keeper Teitur Gestsson while, later in the game, Kirk Millar saw an effort pushed to safety at the near post.

However, Linfield did regain the advantage three minutes from time when Waterworth fired home the second penalty of the game following a challenge on Shayne Lavery.

But HB levelled within a minute to keep the tie evenly balanced when substitute Pætur Petersen broke the offside trap to nod past Ferguson from Simun Samuelsen's cross.

The sides meet again in the return next Thursday evening at Windsor Park to determine who will meet APOEL Nicosia or FK Sutjeska in the next round.

HB: Gestsson, Egilsson, Davidsen, Pingel, Hlödversson, Justinussen, Jensen, Samuelsen, Askam, Olsen, Andersen subs Mørk (not used), Johansen (replaced Hlödversson 85), Í Soylu (replaced Pingel 70), Joensen (not used), Petersen (replaced Justinussen 78), Wardum (not used), Sólheim (not used)

Linfield: Ferguson, Stafford, Callacher, Waterworth, Héry, Stewart, Clarke, Kearns, Mulgrew, Quinn, Casement subs Moore (not used), Larkin (not used), Cooper (replaced Quinn 83), Millar (replaced Stewart 77), Lavery (replaced Kearns 81), Fallon (not used), Mitchell (not used) 

Tags:  Linfield