Danny McKee (65)
Danny McKee (85)


James McLaughlin (19)
James McLaughlin (50)


Danny McKee celebrates knocking home the decisive spot-kick (Picture: Matt Mackey/PressEye.com)


Ards produced a remarkable turnaround to come from two goals down to book a place in the JBE League Cup final with a penalty shoot-out victory over Coleraine.

James McLaughlin fired the Bannsiders into the lead after 19 minutes with a 30-yard effort which skidded off the ground to beat 'keeper Ryan Brown.

He doubled up on 50 minutes with a close range effort under the Ards custodian.

However, Niall Currie's side pulled a goal back a quarter-of-an-hour after that through substitute Danny McKee with a glancing header after David McAllister had crossed from the left.

Then, with five minutes of normal time remaining, he levelled for the Championship side with another header, this time into the top corner.

With extra-time producing no further goals - although McKee did have one ruled out offside - it fell to the lottery of penalties to separate the sides.

And, perhaps fittingly, it was down to McKee to convert the decisive kick as Ards emerged 5-3 victors.

Penalty Sequence
James Cully (Ards) scores 1-0
Sammy Morrow (Coleraine) 1-1

Thomas Lambe (Ards) scores 2-1
Ruaidhri Higgins (Coleraine) scores 2-2

Gary Dorrian (Ards) scores 3-2
James McLaughlin (Coleraine) misses 3-2

Rory Carson (Ards) scores 4-2
Lyndon Kane (Coleraine) scores 4-3

Danny McKee (Ards) scores 5-3

Ards: Brown, Hall, Gage, Cully, Lambe, McMillen, Carson, Arthurs, D. McAllister, O'Neill, Boyd subs McKee (replaced O'Neill 85), Dorrian (not used), Browne (not used), E. McAllister (replaced D. McAllister 95), Warwick (replaced Boyd 80)

Coleraine: Doherty, Kane, Douglas, Watt, Falconer, Lyons, McCafferty, Harkin, Brown, McLaughlin, McCauley subs Higgins (replaced McCafferty 97), Mullan (not used), Morrow (replaced McCauley 71), Parkhill (replaced Lyons 95), McGonigle (not used)

Referee: Keith Kennedy

Tags:  Ards  Coleraine