• JFile: :copy: Cannot find or read file: $/home/mharris/public_html/images/stories/picture020211_glenpor_report.jpg

Richard Lecky receives the congratulations of his Portadown team-mates


PORTADOWN stunned Glentoran with an extra-time winner at the Oval to book their place in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final.

The Ports, in their second decider in three seasons, will meet Lisburn Distillery in the April 2nd final following their penalties defeat of Crusaders the previous evening.

Ronnie McFall's side might have taken an early lead when, on 11 minutes, Matthew Tipton almost turned home a Wesley Boyle corner only for Richard Clarke to save the Glens with a goalline clearance.

And Clarke tormented the Ports again on 26 minutes when he fired the Glens into the lead after he pounced on a sloppy Neil Armstrong clearance to slot the ball into an empty net.

It might have been 2-0 moments later but Armstrong redeemed himself with a superb stop from a Daryl Fordyce header.

Portadown levelled, however, right on the stroke of half-time when Ross Redman delivered a Kevin Braniff pass onto the head of Sean Mackle who beat Elliott Morris with a ball into the bottom corner.

The visitors might have taken the lead shortly after the hour mark when their Richard Clarke sent a curling ball from distance towards the top corner while, at the other end a few minutes later, Armstrong got down well to deny Grant Gardiner.

But it took a Richard Lecky moments from the break in extra-time to give the Ports the upper hand when he beat no fewer than four home defenders before firing a low shot beyond the reach of Morris.

Glentoran: Morris, Nixon, Black, Clarke, Leeman, Waterworth, Gawley, Fordyce, Callacher, McGovern, Howland subs Burrows (not used), Steele (replaced Gawley 62), Taylor (not used), Gardiner (replaced Callacher 58), Hill (replaced Black 69)

Portadown: Armstrong, Mackle, Redman, O'Hara, Boyle, Clarke, Tipton, Braniff, Gartland, Breen, Craig subs Miskelly (not used), Teggart (not used), Lecky (replaced Tipton 93), Baker (replaced Mackle 65), Ramsey (replaced Clarke 104)

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)