Thomas Wray (059)
Mark Cooling (083p)
Ben Arthurs (096)
Jordan Lucas (097)
Gerard McMullan (102)


Michael Smith (044)
Mark Kelly (084)
Lee Chapman (110)


Thomas Wray was amongst Bangor's scorers (Picture: Stephen Hamilton/


Bangor caused the shock of the BetMcLean League Cup with victory over Premiership visitors Carrick Rangers, and that after playing the last half-an-hour with ten men.

It was the Premier Intermediate League side that had the game's first real chance Gerard McMullan forced a great save from Carrick stopper Liam McAuley with almost half-hour played.

With half-time looming, it was Carrick Rangers who took the lead when Michael Smith's low cross was turned into the goal by a Bangor defender.

Undeterred the Seasiders fought back and found an equaliser on 59 minutes through the head of veteran defender Thomas Wray following a long throw in.

With just seven minutes remaining Bangor took the lead against their top-flight opponents from the penalty spot, as Mark Cooling converted.

The advantage was short lived as sixty seconds after the spot-kick, Mark Kelly bundled the ball over the line for Rangers.

Bangor ended the 90 minutes with ten men following Steven Hislop's stoppage time dismissal for a challenge on Caolan Loughran but the Seasiders came out in extra-time all guns blazing with two goals in quick succession.

Ben Arthurs made it 3-2 on 96 minutes after showing great composure to take the ball around McAuley and into the empty net.

Then, a minute later, Jordan Lucas added a fourth when he connected with Gerard McMullan's pass to bury the ball beyond the Carrick keeper.

It got worse for the visitors five minutes after that when McMullan found the bottom corner to put Bangor out of reach.

Carrick did pull a goal back on 110 minutes through Lee Chapman but it was too little, too late to spark a revival for the Premiership side.

Bangor: Craughwell, Fletcher, Beattie, McAlinden, Wray, Wasson, Johnston, Cooling, Arthurs, Lucas, McMullan subs Arthur (not used), Halliday (replaced Arthurs 111), Dickson (not used), Hislop (replaced Johnston 84), Boylan (replaced Lucas 99), Atkinson (replaced Wasson 64), Gibbons (not used)

Carrick Rangers: McAuley, Carson, Rodgers, M. Kelly, Nixon, Magill, Ferrin, Smith, McDermott, Gray, Anderson subs Hogg (not used), Neale (replaced Loughran 103), Surgenor (not used), Loughran (replaced Rodgers 57), Chapman (replaced Magill 82), Smiley (replaced Smith 70)

Referee: Andrew Davey

Tags:  Carrick Rangers