This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.

League Cup


09 Nov 2021
© Andrew McCarroll/Pacemaker Press Leroy Millar and Niall Quinn contest possession at The Showgrounds

Holders Coleraine plus Ballymena United, Cliftonville and Warrenpoint Town make up the BetMcLean League Cup semi-finals line-up following last eight victories over Glentoran, Linfield, Portadown and Limavady United respectively.

The Bannsiders continued their cup defence at The Showgrounds thanks to a goal in each half from Jamie Glackin and Matthew Shevlin.

Glackin opened the scoring on 19 minutes after combining in a one-two with Conor McKendry, with Shevlin adding a second just after the hour when he pounced on a mistake by Malachy Smith before finishing confidently past Glentoran keeper Ross Glendinning.

Ballymena United came from a goal down to defeat Linfield 3-1 at Warden Street.

Billy Chadwick fired the Blues in front after eight minutes, a lead they held until the 37th minute when Douglas Wilson levelled with a header from Ross Redman's corner.

Jude Winchester made it 2-1 nine minutes into the second half with a low finish after Shields failed to cut out a Kenny Kane ball before, deep into stoppage time, Leroy Millar added a third on the counter attack.

Cliftonville and Portadown needed extra-time at Shamrock Park before the visitors came out on top through a 97th minute Daniel Kearns finish.

Portadown had moved in front through Lee Bonis on 47 minutes but Ronan Doherty levelled for the league leaders with around a quarter-of-an-hour of normal time remaining.

Meanwhile, at Milltown, Alan O'Sullivan bagged a hat-trick as Warrenpoint Town swept past Premier Intermediate League opponents Limavady United.

He opened the scoring after just two minutes before Thomas Maguire added another soon after. O'Sullivan made it 3-0 on 25 minutes, Stuart Hutchinson grabbed a fourth after half-an-hour with Maguire doubling his own tally just before the break.

O'Sullivan then completed his hat-trick from the spot on 53 minutes with the Roesiders getting a consolation late on through Matthew Brown.