This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.



04 Sep 2021
© Ards FC
Newry City stretched their lead at the top of the Lough 41 Championship with victory over Queen's University at The Dub while HW Welders, Institute and Annagh United also picked up three points apiece.
Darren Mullen's side made it six wins from their six outings to date thanks to goals from John McGovern and Stephen Lawless. McGovern edged City in front around the half-hour mark with Lawless making sure in the dying moments.
They sit five points clear of second placed Ards who picked up a point on the road away to Dergview. Kym Nelson fired John Bailie's side into a second minute lead, and they were handed a further boost midway through the first half when the home side were reduced to ten men following Kieran Farren's dismissal.
However, Keenan Diver levelled for Tommy Canning's men just before the break and a disciplined second half performance saw them hold on for a point.
Annagh United occupy third spot following their narrow victory over Loughgall at Lakeview Park, the only goal of the game coming via Peter Duffin eight minutes into the second half.
At Dixon Park Ballyclare Comrades and Knockbreda battled to an equal share of the four goals scored. Ethan Devine opened the scoring for 'Breda early on but two Liam McKenna goals in as many minutes late in the first half handed the home side the advantage at the break. However, Lee Rea struck early in the second half to ultimately earned the visitors a point.
It was a successful journey to Fermanagh for HW Welders after they came away from Ferney Park with a 2-1 victory over Ballinamallard United. Michael McLellan opened the scoring from the spot towards the end of the first half, with Craig Harris adding a second just after the hour with the Mallards consolation coming deep into stoppage time from leading scorer BJ Banda.
And it was a successful first game in charge for new Institute boss Brian Donaghey as he guided his charges to a 2-1 win over Dundela at the Brandywell. Liam Walsh scored from the spot just after the half-hour mark, with Brendan McLaughlin bagging a second late on with Kyle Owens snatching a stoppage time consolation for the Duns.