This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.



01 Jan 2022
© Desmond Loughery/Pacemaker Press Marc Matthews celebrates scoring Dundela's equaliser

The New Year was heralded by the usual twists and turns we've come to expect from the highly competitive Lough 41 Championship.

Ballinamallard United were the big winners on the day, thumping five goals without reply past Queen's University at Ferney Park. Sean McEvoy and BJ Banda both bragged a brace each, with the unfortunate Caomhan McGuinness completing the scoring with an own goal just after the hour.

That win moves Harry McConkey's side back into second spot in goal difference ahead of Annagh United who dropped a place despite coming from behind to defeat Ballyclare Comrades at Dixon Park.

Tom Mathieson had given the Comrades a 27th minute lead, an advantage they held until just before the hour mark when Lee Upton levelled for the visitors. Upton then struck again on 72 minutes to secure the points for Annagh.

Dundela have keeper Marc Matthews to thank for their point at home to Dergview. Early goals from Matthew Kirk and Benny Igiehon had handed Dergview the advantage after a quarter-of-an-hour before Eoin Kane's 28th minute finish handed Dundela some hope ... and that was how it stayed until midway through the second half when Matthews beat his opposite number Alan Buchanan with a long punt forward to secure a share of the spoils.

Meanwhile, at the Brandywell, leaders Newry City had to be content with a scoreless draw with Institute. Indeed, it was a fraught afternoon for Darren Mullen's charges after they had to endure a missed Daniel Hughes penalty and a Stephen Moan sending off against a youthful 'Stute.