Premier Intermediate


02 May 2023
© Paul Harvey

The curtain fell on the 2022/23 Lough 41 Premier Intermediate League campaign with the final round of games producing no fewer than 28 goals between them!

Chief amongst these was the nine-goal thriller at The Dub as Ballymacash Rangers defeated Queen's University 5-4 after initially surrendering a three-goal lead.

‘Cash raced into the lead with just over half-an-hour on the clock through Guillaume Keke, Chris Ferguson and Stephen Glasgow before Ciaran O’Hare and Mikey Withers struck for the Students just before the break.

Queen’s then levelled early in the second half courtesy of Adam Calvert’s left-foot finish, with O’Hare then doubling his tally to flip the game on its head.

But the visitors weren’t quite done and hit back with late goals from Matthew Parker and Jack Smith to claim the points.

Portstewart also hit five goals as they swept past Moyola Park at Mullaghacall.

Luke McConnell grabbed the headlines with a hat-trick with John Watt and Shea Curran also getting on the scoresheet while Christopher Gill had initially levelled for the Dollybirds midway through the first half.

Champions Bangor wrapped up their title winning campaign with a 3-1 victory on the road over Tobermore United.

Daniel McIlhatton turned the ball into his own net after a quarter-of-an-hour to edge the Seasiders in front before Ben Arthurs made it 2-0 soon after. Tom Mathieson added a third on 30 minutes, while United bagged a Declan Martin consolation midway through the second half.

At the other end of the table PSNI defeated Lisburn Distillery by the same scoreline at Breda Park.

Billy Cassells opened the scoring on 23 minutes with Henry Capper adding a second towards the break. Capper then doubled his tally just after the hour before Lewis Higginson converted a spot-kick for the Whites soon after.

Armagh City came from behind to defeat Banbridge Town at Crystal Park. Jake Gorman had given Town the lead early on, but Marc McConnell and Ethan Jordan struck after the break to secure the win for Shea Campbell’s side.

Meanwhile, at The Showgrounds, Limavady United and Moyola Park played out a 1-1 draw. Tom Patchett broke the deadlock with around ten minutes on the clock, but Ryan Doherty levelled for the Roesiders after the hour.