Nadene Caldwell (67)


Nadene Caldwell scored the only goal of the game


Glentoran Women's continued their recent good form with a one-goal defeat of Sion Swifts Ladies 1-0 at The Oval to open up a four point gap ahead of the visitors in third position.

Glentoran took advantage of the wind in their favour and put immediate pressure on the Sion defence with a series of corners. Kelly Bailie had a dangerous in swinging corner cleared of the line by Teresa Burns in the 11th minute.

Sion settled into the match and seemed content to hit Glentoran on the break and they almost created an opening in the 16th minute when Zoe McGlynn fed Michelle McDade on the right but her shot was off target.

Glentoran continued to dominate with Caragh Milligan prominent causing the Sion defence problems with her runs behind their defence.

Sion were conceding corners and from these Glentoran had several scoring chances cleared off the line. Sion had a scoring opportunity through Ebony Leckey at the opposite end when she failed to connect with a McGlade cross just before half time.

The visitors had the breeze behind them in the second half and started to put some pressure on the Glentoran goal.

Ashleigh McKinnon was called into action on a few occasions to make timely saves but, as the half progressed, Glentoran began to get control of the game again.

Rogan was sent through in the 58th min by Kelly Bailie and it took a diving save from the visiting goalkeeper to prevent the Glens taking the lead.

However, in the 67th minute, Glentoran managed to get their noses in front through a pinpoint free-kick by Nadene Caldwell which flew into the top corner for what proved to be the only goal of the game.

Glentoran Womens FC: McKinnon, Milligan, White, Mulholland, Foy, Caldwell, Peachey, Maxwell, McMaster, Taggart, Bailie subs Rogan (replaced Taggart 46), McKearney (not used), Baxter (not used), Andrews (replaced McMaster 46), Gamble (replaced Maxwell 77)

Sion Swifts: Meehan, Canning, Harpur, McCarter, Brogan, McGlynn, Burns, Feehan, McGlade, McDaid, Leckey

Referee: Darren Veighey