Premier Intermediate


25 Apr 2023
© Paul Harvey Action from the Bluebell Stadium

A full round of midweek Lough 41 Premier Intermediate League fixtures produced victories for Ballymacash Rangers, Lisburn Distillery, PSNI and Queen’s University.

With the title already decided all attention focused on the battle for the promotion play-off spot.

Ballymacash hold a five points advantage over Queen’s going into the final two games of the campaign, with a Zach Barr strike early in the second half handing Cash the win over Tobermore United at the Bluebell Stadium.

The Students romped to a 5-1 defeat of Moyola Park at Fortwilliam Park.

The sides traded goals in the opening exchanges with Johnny Mairs opening the scoring for the visitors before Ian Parkhill levelled a few minutes later.

However, Queen’s stepped up a gear after the break with Leon Bonnes restoring their advantage early on following by Mairs’ second of the game just after the hour before Adam Calvert and Mikey Withers found the net in quick succession with around ten minutes remaining.

Champions Bangor battled to a 2-2 draw with Limavady United at Clandeboye Park.

Hugh Carlin fired the Roesiders in front just before the break, with Lewis Harrison levelling just after the hour. Dean Brown restored Limavady’s lead midway through the second half but Adam Neale struck not long after that to equalise for the Seasiders … and they might have snatched all three points in stoppage time only for Michael Halliday to see his spot-kick saved by Richard Purcell.

In Section B Lisburn Distillery defeated Banbridge Town 2-1 at Ballyskeagh.

Jourdan Shearer opened the scoring with around a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock followed by Odhran McCart early in the second half. Reece Doyle pulled a goal back with 20 minutes remaining but the Whites held on.

Although already consigned to bottom spot the PSNI picked up a welcome 3-0 win away to Dollingstown.

Scoreless at the break the Police hit three goals in five minutes around the hour mark through Billy Cassells and a Henry Capper brace.

Meanwhile, at Holm Park, Armagh City and Portstewart played out a 1-1 draw with Conor Mullen levelling for the Eagles from the spot moments after the Seahawks had taken the lead.