Premier Intermediate


23 Dec 2023

Queen’s University moved to the top of the table on a day that saw the last two unbeaten runs in the Playr-Fit Premier Intermediate League finally come to an end.

The Students inflicted a first defeat of the campaign upon morning leaders Ballymacash Rangers with a three-goal blast at The Dub.

Scoreless at the break, Lorcan McIlroy opened the scoring on 46 minutes with a tap in after Johnny Mairs had laid a David Elliott pass into his path.

Then, just before the hour, Stewart Nixon doubled up from the spot awarded after he had been upended in the box.

And Nixon struck again right at the end with his second penalty of the afternoon, this time after Mikey Withers had been brought down.

Warrenpoint Town also crashed to their first league defeat of the season at the hands of Lisburn Distillery at Ballyskeagh.

Scoreless at the break, the Whites did have the ball in the net in first half stoppage time only for the goal to be ruled out by the officials for a foul in the build-up.

The deadlock was eventually broken, however, four minutes from the hour when Joe Tully's free-kick from 30 yards hit an upright before crossing the line.

Then, on 73 minutes, Ryan McNickle doubled the home advantage after running onto a long ball forward to coolly slot past Lewis Deane.

'Point pulled one back three minutes from time through Steven Ball's looping header beyond Ethan Carry but the Whites restored their two-goal cushion in stoppage time after Gerard Storey knocked home the rebound from Jamie Devenny's saved effort.

Goals from Alex Pomeroy and Tiarnan Boorman helped fourth placed Limavady United defeat Armagh City at The Showgrounds.

Both goals came in the first half, with the Eagles grabbing a late second half consolation through Marc McConnell.

Banbridge Town defeated Coagh United by the odd goal in three at Crystal Park.

Coagh moved in front with just over a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock when Jack Wilson finished past keeper Niall Brady.

That was how it stayed until first half stoppage time when Conor Downey nodded home an Eoin Lundy cross.

Then, eight minutes from time, Stephen McCavitt knocked home the winner from the spot after he had been upended in the area.

Moyola Park climbed off the foot of the table with victory over PSNI at the Coleraine Showgrounds.

Robert McLean fired Kenny Shiels' side in front as early as the eighth minute, but Jake Moore levelled for the visitors after half-an-hour.

The Police then seized the advantage through Aaron Cochrane with 14 minutes to go, a lead they held until two minutes from the end of normal time when McNeill bagged the equaliser.

The 26-year-old then popped with the winner five minutes into added time to lift Moyola off the foot of the table.

Meanwhile, Dollingstown defeated Portstewart by the odd goal in five at Planters Park.

The Dollybirds moved in front as early as the eighth minute through Daniel Gordon, but Glenn Law levelled for the visitors soon after.

That was how it stayed until just before the hour when Ben Neill restored home advantage with Odhran Skelton going on to hit a third three minutes from the end.

Law did respond again soon after for the Seahawks but there wasn't enough time for Johnny Law's side to salvage an equaliser.

On Friday evening Rathfriland Rangers and Tobermore United played out a scoreless draw at Iveagh Park.