18 Nov 2023
© Paul Harvey Goalmouth action between Annagh United and Knockbreda

What a day it turned out to be in the Playr-Fit Championship after late goals changed things at the top in addition to welcome wins for Annagh United and Ards lower down the table.

Portadown returned to pole position after snatching a point from Bangor at Clandeboye Park.

The Seasiders had raced into a handsome two-goal lead after just half-an-hour thanks to strikes from Ben Arthurs and Lewis Harrison.

It was a lead they held until six minutes from time when Douglas Wilson bundled the ball home for the Ports from close range before, a minute into added time, Eamon Fyfe bagged the equaliser for Niall Currie’s side.

They move top on goal difference after morning leaders Dundela suffered the abandonment of their clash with Institute at Wilgar Park due to a floodlight failure. Tied at one goal apiece going into the break and with the electrical issue unable to be rectified it was decided, with the natural light fading fast, to call the game off.

Newington also bagged a late goal to secure all three points from their visit to Ferney Park to face Ballinamallard United.

Darren Stuart made the most of some poor defending to edge the Swans in front after 14 minutes, but Jamie Dunne hit the home equaliser ten minutes from the break.

But just as it looked like the spoils would be shared Paul Donnelly popped up five minutes into stoppage time to bag the win for the visitors.

Ards hit three early goals to sweep past HW Welders at the Blanchflower Stadium.

Michael Ruddy opened the scoring on six minutes with a back post header, with Callum Dougan doubling up from the spot five minutes after that.

And Dougan struck again with a smart finish into the bottom corner not long after that to complete the scoring.

It was a similar tale for Annagh United as two first half finishes proved enough for them to defeat Knockbreda on their return to the BMG Arena following the recent floods.

Conall Young edged Ciaran McGurgan’s side in front after getting on the end of a Stephen Murray cross after a quarter-of-an-hour, with Murray again turning provider 20 minutes later for Niall Henderson to find the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

The Dergview-Ballyclare Comrades game was postponed following a morning pitch inspection of a waterlogged Darragh Park.