09 Sep 2023
© Jason Connolly Bangor celebrate victory over Ballinamallard United

Newington and Dundela continue to lead the way in the Playr-Fit Championship as Portadown, Bangor and Institute also collected three points and Ballyclare Comrades came from two down to salvage a draw.

The Swans remain top on goal difference, but it took a stoppage time winner to give them the edge over Dergview at Inver Park.

The visitors moved in front on 21 minutes when Joshua Maxwell finished into the open net after Jamie Browne's initial effort had been parried away.

Zach Barr had the ball in the net for the Swans on 35 minutes only to be ruled out offside but Seamus Duffy did level after a solo run brought him past two defenders.

But Dergview hit back in first half stoppage time courtesy of a Maxwell header to go in at the break in front.

Newington drew level again midway through the second half after the unfortunate Shane McMonagle headed into his own net whilst attempting to deal with a Joshua Diver cross.

And the winner came three minutes into added time after the ball came over from a corner for Paul Donnelly to head home.

Dundela hit back from a goal down to defeat Knockbreda at Wilgar Park.

'Breda led at the break when, on 29 minutes, Ronan Kalla sent a superb effort past keeper Alex Henderson from around 25 yards out.

Dundela levelled just a couple of minutes into the second half, however, after Tony Kane found the bottom corner from a free-kick.

Then, not long after that, Andy Hall tucked a calm finish past Henderson following a good move down the right with Jordan Jenkins completing the scoring with a header.

Ben Cushnie hit two late goals as Bangor defeated Ballinamallard United at Ferney Park.

The visitors moved in front as early as the fourth minute after Ben Arthurs picked up a long ball forward before cutting inside to fire a curling effort into the top corner from outside the box.

Ballinamallard might have levelled just before the hour when Joshua McIlwaine crashed an effort off the right post.

Bangor doubled their advantage with a couple of minutes remaining after pouncing on the loose ball from Ben Walker's initial effort. Then, deep into stoppage time, Cushnie completed the scoring with a curling effort past keeper Jamie Ray.

Institute edged to a narrow victory over HW Welders at the Ryan McBride Brandywell Stadium.

Liam Mullan opened the scoring for 'Stute after 13 minutes with a side footed effort from just the box into the bottom corner.

The Welders levelled six minutes later, however, when James McClay blasted home an unstoppable effort from distance but what proved to be the winner came midway through the first half when Mark Mbuli slotted past Michael Argyrides.

In the evening kick-off Paul McElroy bagged a hat-trick as Portadown defeated neighbours Annagh United at Shamrock Park.

Annagh moved in front after 11 minutes when Jamie Doran turned Jack Evans' cross past Gareth Buchanan.

The Ports levelled around the half-hour mark through Eamon Fyfe who pounced on a poor clearance to knock the ball beyond Jason Craughwell.

McElroy then opened his account on 36 minutes to hand the Ports the lead at the break. He found the net again on 64 minutes before making sure of the points with five minutes remaining.

Meanwhile, at Clandeboye Park, Ballyclare Comrades hit twice in the closing moments to earn a draw with Ards.

The home side moved in front with just under a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock when Ethan Taggart found the bottom corner.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men just after the hour following Conall McGrandles' dismissal, and their task seemed even more hopeless not long after that when Adam McCallum was given time to hammer home from inside the box.

Yet, with nine minutes remaining, the Comrades were thrown a lifeline when Darius Roohi played the ball through for Callum Ferris to fire into the top corner from 20 yards.

Then, remarkably, the equaliser arrived with a couple of minutes to go courtesy of Owen McConville's header home after Michael Morgan had sent over a corner.


Free scoring Limavady United crushed Tobermore United at The Showgrounds to move to the top of the Playr-Fit Premier Intermediate League.

The Roesiders led at the break thanks to Alex Pomeroy's sixth minute finish.

But they upped the tempo in the second half when Joe McCready and Ian Parkhill - from the spot - found the net either side of the hour.

Parkhill doubled his tally on 74 minutes, followed by a Matthew Walker strike six minutes after that before Parkhill claimed the match ball with his hat-trick goal in stoppage time.

Moyola Park swept to a comprehensive victory over Coagh United at Hagan Park.

Elliot McKim opened the scoring for the visitors on 20 minutes, but Tiarnan Rafferty levelled for Coagh with just over half-an-hour on the clock.

However Moyola stepped up a gear after the break, going in front through Caleb Wan on 65 minutes before goals from Peter Duffin and Aaron Harris completed the scoring in the closing minutes.