06 Apr 2024
© Paul Harvey Annagh United celebrate defeating leaders Portadown

There are just six points between the leading five sides in the Playr-Fit Championship with three games left to play.

Portadown and Dundela still lead the way, but both lost at home to Annagh United and Institute respectively while Bangor boosted their own ambitions with victory over HW Welders.

At Shamrock Park Portadown went down 4-2 to local rivals Annagh United, with Ciaran McGurgan’s side leading by four goals at one point before the Ports staged a mini-revival.

Scoreless for most of the first half, the visitors bagged a quick fire double just before the break courtesy of a Nathan Kerr spot-kick and Ruairi McDonald’s curling effort into the top right corner.

Eoin Teggart added a third direct from a free-kick early in the second half, followed by McDonald’s second from the edge of the area.

Mark Russell pulled one back at the back post soon after ahead of a Luke Wilson finish soon after but there was no way back for Niall Currie’s charges.

‘Stute defeated the Duns by the odd goal in seven in a thrilling encounter at Wilgar Park.

The visitors moved in front through Charlie Dornan’s own goal in first half stoppage time but Lee Rea levelled for Dundela within moments of the interval.

Conor Quigley restored ‘Stute’s advantage with a header on 53 minutes, with Liam Mullan adding a third on the hour.

Jordan Jenkins reduced the arrears from spot with a quarter-of-an-hour to go but Michael Harris knocked home Institute’s fourth on 82 minutes and although Jenkins struck again in the closing moments the visitors held on.

Bangor cruised to a relatively comfortable three-goal victory over HW Welders at Clandeboye Park.

Scott McArthur broke the deadlock around the half-hour mark, Ben Arthurs doubled up six minutes after that with McArthur bagging his brace early in the second half.

In Section B Michael Morgan and Gary Donnelly found the net inside the opening 15 minutes as Ballyclare Comrades defeated Dergview 2-1 at New Grosvenor Stadium, with Sean McDonagh responding for Ivan Sproule’s side early in the second half.

Meanwhile Ballinamallard United got the better of Newington at Ferney Park.

Eamonn Hughes edged the Swans in front very early in the second half but a Dean Smyth own goal followed quickly by Darragh Byrne’s finish saw the Mallards gain control before Daniel Barker made sure in the closing stages.

The Knockbreda-Ards game was postponed following a morning pitch inspection.