17 Feb 2024
© Sarah Harkness/Pacemaker Press Adam Neale celebrates knocking home Bangor's winner

It was almost a clean sweep of away wins as the latest round of games in the Playr-Fit Championship produced its usual healthy dose of big results, goals and drama.

Dundela, Bangor, Ballinamallard United and Knockbreda all picked up three points on the road while Ballyclare Comrades were denied by a late leveller on Friday night.

The Duns lead the way with a five point cushion after a 4-2 defeat of Institute at the Brandywell.

'Stute moved in front after 11 minutes when Michael Harris tapped the ball home at the back post but, a quarter-of-an-hour later, the Duns levelled when Anto Burns got the final touch to an Ian Fletcher driven effort from the edge of the box.

Institute regained the advantage just before the break when Evan Tweed found the net with a great 20-yard strike.

But back came the visitors five minutes into the second half following Andy Hall's finish from eight yards before, on 63 minutes, he fired the Duns in front for the first time with a thunderous finish from just outside the area.

And Dundela went on to claim the points on 76 minutes when substitute William Faulkner teed Ewan Kelly up to make no mistake.

Bangor moved into second spot following victory over HW Welders at the Blanchflower Stadium.

The Seasiders opened the scoring after a quarter-of-an-hour when Conor McDermott gathered the ball on the edge of the box before firing through a crowd of players past keeper Jack Mills.

The Welders levelled soon after, however, following Tiarnan O'Connor's turn inside the box and subsequent finish into the bottom corner.

Paul Kee's side were reduced to ten men later in the first half when Matthew Ferguson received his second caution of the afternoon for a challenge on Howard Beverland.

But it took Bangor until midway through the second half to make their numerical advantage count when substitute Adam Neale ran onto a Ben Arthurs ball to lift the ball over Mills.

Knockbreda picked up only their second win of the campaign with victory over Ards at Clandeboye Park.

It was Ards that moved in front, however when Adam McCallum reacted to a loose ball in the box to fire home an unstoppable finish with just over a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock.

But 'Breda levelled just four minutes after that when Marcus Murphy beat the offside trap to send the ball past Neil Shields.

Murphy then doubled the lead for the visitors eight minutes from the break, but despite coming considerable pressure in the second half, 'Breda held on to claim a much needed three points.

Ballinamallard United bagged two second half goals to come from behind to defeat Newington at Inver Park.

The Mallards had the ball in the net just after the half-hour mark but Simon Warrington's strike was ruled out offside.

But, just a few minutes after that, RuaidhrĂ­ Donnelly found the net to hand the Swans the lead at the break after slotting home a long ball.

Callum Moorehead levelled for the visitors midway through the second half when he netted the loose ball after James McGrath's initial effort had come off an upright.

Then, on 73 minutes, Josh McIlwaine bagged what proved to the winner to secure the points for Tommy Canning's side.

On Friday night Portadown fought back from two goals down to earn a point from the visit of Ballyclare Comrades to Shamrock Park.

The deadlock was broken four minutes from the break when Gary Donnelly did well down the left before sending over a cross from Darius Roohi to head home in off the underside of the bar.

And Ballyclare doubled their advantage eight minutes into the second half when Liam Hassin tucked the ball in at the near post after rounding off a move he had started with Healy and Roohi.

However, the Ports hit back a quarter-of-an-hour later when Ryan Mayse stepped up to convert from the spot before, right at the end, Mayse struck again to earn a share of the spoils for Niall Currie's side.