BetMcLean Cup


16 Feb 2024
© David Maginnis/Pacemaker Press

Portadown certainly won't be overawed going into next month's BetMcLean Cup final having already knocked out no fewer than three Premiership opponents along the way!

2nd Round - 3rd October (h) 4-1 v. Coagh United (Montgomery 38, Fyfe 43 & 71p, Mayse 54)
Niall Currie's side kicked off their road to the final with a sweeping victory over Premier Intermediate League opponents Coagh United at Shamrock Park.

Dale Montgomery opened the scoring on 38 minutes when he rose highest on the edge of the six yard box to nod home a corner from the right.

The Ports doubled their lead just five minutes after that when Mark Russell's cross from the left was chested down by Eoin Bradley for Eamon Fyfe to blast home from just outside the area.

Number three arrived nine minutes after the interval when Bradley once again turned provider to tee Ryan Mayse to fire across the goal from the far post.

Fyfe then doubled his tally from the spot on 71 minutes to put the game beyond any doubt, although Aaron Campbell did bag a late consolation for the visitors.

Portadown: Hogg, Coyle, L. Wilson, McCawl, Mayse, Russell, Fyfe, Montgomery, Traynor, Bradley, McKay subs Hughes (not used), Redman (not used), McElroy (not used), Kane (replaced McCawl 75), Cochrane (replaced Mayse 54), Williamson (replaced Wilson 61), Somerville (replaced Bradley 61)

© Pacemaker Press

3rd Round - 7th November (h) 2-1 v. Crusaders (Kane 11, Fyfe 74)
Portadown produced the result of the third round with victory over Crusaders at Shamrock Park.

The Ports moved in front after just 11 minutes when, following a mix-up in the Crues defence, Kenneth Kane found himself through on goal and made no mistake from close range.

Currie's charges almost doubled their lead soon after only for Jonny Tuffey to deny Ryan Mayse's strike, before the Crues keeper produced another save to deal with an Eoin Bradley effort from point blank range.

However Mikhail Kennedy levelled for the visitors midway through the first half after slotting home from the edge of the box after Aaron Hogg had come off his line to try to win the ball from Lloyd Anderson.

Ross Clarke could then have edged the Crues in front with a curling 25-yard effort just over the bar while, at the other end, Kane sent the ball just wide as he tried to find the top corner.

The second half was a much less frantic affair, with the only real moment of note coming with just over a quarter-of-an-hour remaining when Eamon Fyfe knocked home Portadown's winner with a cool finish between Tuffey's legs to secure a memorable victory for the Championship side.

Portadown: Hogg, Rodgers, Wilson, Chapman, McCawl, Mayse, Kane, Fyfe, Montgomery, Traynor, Bradley subs Wright (not used), Coyle (replaced Montgomery 87), Redman (replaced Traynor 72), Russell (replaced Bradley 46), Cochrane (replaced Fyfe 87), Williamson (not used), McKay (not used)

© David Maginnis/Pacemaker Press

Quarter-finals - 5th December (h) 2-0 v. Loughgall (McCawl 68, Fyfe 90)
Portadown progressed to the last four with a two-goal defeat of Loughgall at Shamrock Park.

Although neither side managed to find the net in the first half both did have their chances.

Loughgall started the brightest with a Jordan Gibson effort blocked followed soon after by a Tiernan Kelly attempt that failed to hit the target.

For the Ports Mark Russell failed to trouble Berraat Turker from distance, but the visiting keeper was made sweat a few minutes after that when Kenny Kane attempted to lob him from 30 yards following a poor clearance only for the ball to drift wide.

Gibson then turned the ball into the side netting late in the first half, but a superb reaction save from home keeper Gareth Buchanan kept the sides level not long after the break when he turned a wayward clearance by Eoghan McCawl onto the crossbar.

Indeed, the Villagers continued to press for the opening goal, coming close again when Jamie Rea and Benji Magee combined for the latter to drag wide from close range.

The deadlock was broken, however, on 68 minutes after Sam Cochrane laid the ball off for McCawl to show great composure and fire past Turker from close range.

Loughgall were reduced to ten men soon after when Alberto Balde was shown a straight red card for a challenge on Dale Montgomery but, not long after that, the Ports also lost a man following Aaron Traynor's second caution of the evening for a foul on Aaron Duke.

But Portadown made sure of their place in the semi-finals when Eamon Fyfe got on the end of a long ball forward to calmly beat Turker.

Portadown: Buchanan, Coyle, Wilson, McCawl, Russell, Kane, Fyfe, Montgomery, Traynor, Bradley, Thompson subs Hogg (not used), Redman (replaced Russell 90), Cochrane (replaced Bradley 58), Williamson (not used), McKay (not used), Somerville (not used), Burns (not used)

© Stephen Hamilton/INPHO

Semi-finals - 16th January (a) 1-0 v. Glenavon (Mayse 27p)
Ryan Mayse was the spot-kick hero as Portadown edged past derby rivals Glenavon at Mourneview Park to reach their first League Cup final for 13 years.

Despite a brisk start to the game it took more than a quarter-of-an-hour for the first real effort of note when Glenavon's Danny Wallace leapt highest to meet a James Doona free-kick only to send his header curling past the right post.

The deadlock was broken just before the half-hour mark. Portadown striker Zach Barr burst into the box only to be brought down by keeper Mark Byrne and, from the subsequent spot-kick, Ryan Mayse confidently tucked the ball away.

The Ports might have doubled their lead early in the second half when Mayse laid the ball off for Eamon Fyfe across the box but he could only fire wide from point blank range.

Moments later Glenavon came within a whisker of grabbing the equaliser when Jack Malone unleashed a superb strike from around 20 yards only for the ball to come crashing back off the left post.

Niall Currie's men almost grabbed that second insurance goal late in the game after Kenny Kane went one-on-one with Byrne only for the Glenavon keeper to make the save before David Toure cleared the danger.

Portadown: Hogg, D. Wilson, L. Wilson, Chapman, McCawl, Mayse, Russell, Fyfe, Traynor, Barr, Thompson subs Buchanan (not used), Coyle (replaced Mayse 83), Redman (not used), Kane (replaced Barr 72), Montgomery (replaced McCawl 62), Williamson (not used), McKay (not used)