27 Jan 2024
© Bangor FC Howard Beverland hit Bangor's late equaliser

There was no movement in the upper echelons of the Playr-Fit Championship after the top four sides all drew but Annagh United, Ballyclare Comrades and HW Welders did collect three points apiece.

Much interest was focused on the clash between second and fourth at Wilgar Park as Dundela hosted Portadown in the big game of the day.

There was nothing between the sides at the break before, on 51 minutes, Zach Barr tapped home the rebound after Lewis Hunter had made an initial save.

But Dundela hit back midway through the second half courtesy of a deflection from an Andy Hall free-kick to ultimately secure a share of the spoils.

Leaders Institute left it late to salvage a point from this visit to face Ards at Clandeboye Park.

Ards held the advantage at the break through Patrick Cafolla before Caoimhin Porter hit the leveller five minutes after the interval.

That was how it stayed until closing few minutes when Ethan Taggart scrambled the ball home after a James McLaughlin free-kick had been pushed onto the crossbar … but, barely sixty seconds after that, Mikhail Kennedy stepped up to convert from the spot amid a frenetic ending to the game.

And Bangor left it even later to earn a point from their trip to Darragh Park to face Dergview.

Niall McGinley had looked to have knocked home the winner for Dergview on 79 minutes, but Howard Beverland had other ideas when, following a frantic tussle in the box, he back heeled Bangor’s leveller as late as the 95th minute!

Ballyclare Comrades sit fifth, just five points off the top, following a 3-1 victory over Ballinamallard United at Inver Park.

James McGrath had edged the Mallards in front on 17 minutes with a back post finish, but Ballyclare hit back through a Gary Donnelly penalty right at the end of the first half.

Brian Healy then tipped the balance in their favour eight minutes after the break with Caolan Donnelly making sure of the win deep into added time.

But there were no such issues for HW Welders and Annagh United following comfortable victories over Newington and Knockbreda.

The Welders hit three first half goals past the Swans at the Blanchflower Stadium with Tiarnan O’Connor, Ewan McCoubrey and Matthew Ferguson all finding the net while Ben McCaul grabbed a consolation for the visitors.

Annagh went one better at Breda Park, knocking four past their bottom of the table hosts Knockbreda.

Nathan Kerr and Paul Finnegan helped United take a firm hold on the game with two early goals, and whilst Marcus Murphy did pull one back for ‘Breda, Jack Evans restored Annagh’s two-goal cushion moments from the break with Thomas Burns wrapping the scoring up late on.