Ryan Campbell (15)
Stephen Browne (79)


Declan Carville (02)
Jimmy Walker (32)


Jimmy Walker gave Newry the lead midway through the first half (Picture: Tony Hendron/PressEye.com)


Supersub Stephen Browne grabbed a stunning late equaliser as Dergview twice came from behind to dig out a precious point against Newry City at Darragh Park.

With just 11 minutes remaining Browne finished off a scintillating attack by hammering the ball in off a post from all of 25 yards to earn his team a deserved share of the spoils.

In fact, the home side was denied a winner shortly afterwards when visiting keeper Stephen Maguire, at full stretch, pushed a Conald Arnold strike around his left post.

While the hosts finished strongly, it was their opponents who flew out of the traps to take a second minute lead.

A quick interchange of passes caught the home rearguard cold and Declan Carville ran through to guide the ball inside Alan Buchanan's left post.

Despite the early setback, the home side responded with the City 'keeper scooping away a Garth Falconer pile-driver after excellent play by Aaron Arkinson and Adam Buchanan.

Maguire then safely held a glancing Lee McNulty header from a Duwayne McManus cross before Marty Havern steered wide a teasing Walker cross at the other end.

By now the game was flowing end to end and on 15 minutes the hosts equalised through top goalscorer Ryan Campbell.

Falconer switched play from left to right to find Arkinson who, in turn, picked out Campbell to volley home at the near post.

City responded with Darren King getting on the end of a Walker free kick delivery from the right only to be denied by a flying save from Buchanan.

But the visitors though weren't to be denied their second which arrived moments later when Buchanan was adjudged to have used his hands to collect a backpass with Jimmy Walker duly hammering home the resultant free kick from around the penalty spot.

Newry might have added a third early in the second half when Martin Havern, bearing down on goal, was denied by a last-ditch challenge by McNulty.

The visitors posed a real threat on the counter attack but by now the home side, driven on by the influential Matty Callaghan, had gained a significant foothold with Browne and Arnold giving the hosts fresh legs as they went in search of an equaliser.

Steven Maguire pushed away an effort by McManus who had been teed up by Campbell, that after Carville, all alone in Dergview's six yard box, failed to connect and Buchanan hoovered up the breaking ball.

Buchanan, too, thwarted Newry replacement Keith Johnston who had connected first time with Stephen Hughes's low cross from the right and was relieved to see Carville fizz a pile-driver the wrong side of his right upright.

Dale Maxwell then entered the fray for the struggling Falconer (injury) as the home side swooped with that late equaliser.

Wallace, Browne and Arkinson were all involved in the build up and when Arnold cleverly rolled the ball into Browne's path the former Beragh Swifts player arrowed it in off the base of Maguire's left post.

Not content with a share of the spoils both teams went all out for the win but in the final 11 minutes nether side did quite enough to merit the victory.

Dergview: Al. Buchanan, Wallace, Falconer, Wray, McNulty, McManus, Callaghan, Ad. Buchanan, Arkinson, Campbell, Lynch subs McCusker (not used), Robinson (not used), Maxwell (replaced Falconer 66), Browne (replaced Ad. Buchanan 57), Arnold (replaced Lynch 57)

Newry City: Maguire, McArdle, M. Hughes, King, Boyle, McCann, Walker, Carville, McCabe, Havern, S. Hughes subs Johnston (replaced Havern 66), Mullen (not used), Cunningham (replaced S. Hughes 90+3), Richmond (not used), McMahon (not used)

Referee: Diarmuid Harrigan

Tags:  Dergview  Newry City