Aaron Harris (89)


Jimmy Walker (12p)
Christopher McMahon (48)
Keith Johnston (68)
Ian Curran (85)


James Walker (second left) opened the scoring in Newry City AFC's 4-1 win over Lisburn Distillery (Picture: David Hunter)


Newry City moved to the top of the table after this comfortable 4-1 defeat of Lisburn Distillery at Ballyskeagh.

City started well, moving into the lead on 12 minutes when Jimmy Walker converted from the spot, sending Jack McCrea the wrong way after he had been upended to win the penalty in the first place.

Newry continued to have the better of the play in the first half and went close again through Kevin McArdle but his shot from inside the box went wide of McCrea's goal.

Distillery did however go close through a Jonny McCaw flicked header after Jody Lynch whipped an inviting cross into the box but Newry 'keeper Peter Murphy made the save.

The best play of the first half came from the Whites when Timmy Clarke picked up the ball his own half and beat two players before offloading the ball to Paul Young of the left hand side. The Distillery striker crossed the ball towards the back post for Alan McMurtry, who had made a run forward, but his shot was blocked and then cleared.

Newry doubled their lead through Mark McCabe early in the second half. A pass from midfield found its way through to Keith Johnson in the box who cut between Stephen Curley and Padraig McParland before curling a shot goal wards that McCrea could only parry into the path of the onrushing McCabe for an easy tap in.

Newry's third of the game came 20 minutes after when Distillery didn't mark tightly enough in the box and a Mark Hughes cross was flicked home by Johnson.

The Whites were then reduced to ten men when Curley received his marching orders after taking down Johnston when he was running through on goal.

Ian Curran added number four for Newry on 85 minutes with a header from a Declan Carville corner while Distillery did grab a late consolation through Aaron Harris after he placed the ball into the bottom corner of Peter Murphy's net.

Lisburn Distillery: McCrea, Doherty, McCrory, Curley, McParland, McMurty, Harris, McCaw, Young, Clarke, Lynch subs Galbraith (not used), McSorley (replaced Lynch 74), Beta (replaced McParland 65), Bell (replaced McCaw 76), Grainger (not used)

Newry City: Murphy, McArdle, McCaul, Mullen, Curran, McMahon, Walker, Patton, Johnston, Hughes, M. McCabe subs Carville (replaced Patton 69), Smith (replaced Walker 78), McMullan (not used), S. McCabe (replaced Hughes 76), Rushe (not used)

Referee: Mark Dillon

Tags:  Lisburn Distillery  Newry City