11 Aug 2021
© Newry City FC Newry City scorers James Walker, Daniel Hughes and Thomas Lockhart
Ballyclare Comrades, Ards and Newry City lead the way in the Lough 41 Championship with two wins from two after the first couple of rounds of games.
Paul Harbinson's Comrades hold the slight advantage on goal advantage following a 3-1 win over Institute at the Brandywell. An early goal from Liam McKenna coupled with further finishes from Adam Gray and Joe Tully handed Ballyclare a commanding lead at the break with 'Stute only grabbing a consolation through Alex Pomeroy late in the game.
Newry left it to the last possible moment to get the better of HW Welders at The Showgrounds, the winner coming in stoppage time via Daniel Hughes' spot-kick after the sides both shared the lead at different points in the game.
The Welders held the upper hand early on courtesy of a Michael McLellan goal but Jimmy Walker ensured matters remained level at the break. Thomas Lockhart then struck less than 30 seconds after the restart to tip the balance in favour of Newry before a late Darren Murray header seemed to have earned the visitors a point.
Ards finished with ten men at home to Loughgall but two late goals saw them claim the victory. Mark Patton had given the Villagers an early lead, an advantage they held for most of the first half before Patrick Cafolla levelled.
Cafolla was then sent off just before the hour, but goals from Kym Nelson on 84 minutes and Jamie Glover in stoppage time saw John Bailie's charges emerge on top.
Brendan Glackin bagged both goals as Queen's University responded from a heavy home defeat on Saturday to get the better of Dundela at Wilgar Park. On loan from Portadown, Glackin struck early in each half and whilst the Duns - through Owain Beggs - pulled one back just after the hour it wasn't enough to spark a comeback later in the game.
Knockbreda and Annagh shared six goals at Breda Park. Ethan Devine fired the hosts in front on 12 minutes, Jordan Campbell levelled ten minutes later, Cillin Gilmour restored home advantage after half-an-hour, Peter Duffin brought Annagh back into it before the break and then edged them into the lead for the first time on 72 minutes only for the unfortunate Lee Upton to turn the ball into his own net in stoppage time to ensure it ended all square.
Meanwhile, at Ferney Park, both Ballinamallard United and Dergview ended the game with one goal and one red card each. Niall McGinley scored for Dergview midway through the first half with Christopher Kelly levelling just before the break while Alex Holder and Jamie Browne received their marching orders in a lively encounter.