This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.



27 Nov 2021
© Gareth McCluskey/Ards FC Action from the Brandywell

Newry City are five points clear at the top of the Lough 41 Championship but the latest round of action has left only three points separating the rest of the top six.

City kicked the weekend off on Friday night with a 2-2 draw away to Dundela, coming from behind to salvage a point through Darren King just before the hour. James Teelan had opened the scoring early on but the Duns responded through Guillaume Keke and Johnny Taylor to lead with only a quarter-of-an-hour on the clock.

Ards moved back into second spot courtesy of a 3-0 win away to Institute. Thomas Murray and David McAllister struck midway through the first half before Salou Jallow made sure with 20 minutes remaining.

Annagh United, now in third, were the highest scorers of the weekend courtesy of a 4-1 home defeat of Knockbreda with the goals coming from Ryan Harpur, Stephen Murray, Craig Taylor and Ruairi McDonald.

Loughgall started the weekend in second place but slipped after surrendering a two-goal lead at home to Ballinamallard United.

Nedas Maciulaitis opened the scoring on 14 minutes but this was cancelled out by Ben McCann just after the half-hour mark. Maciulaitis struck again early in the second half with Jamie Rea making it 3-1 midway through but the Mallards pulled one back on 69 before Ryan Morris grabbed a late equaliser.

And Ballyclare Comrades also came from two down to earn a point at the Blanchflower Stadium against HW Welders. Alan McMurtry and Joshua Boyd had given the Welders a strong advantage with just over an hour on the clock but Liam Hassin and Matthew Herron struck to salvage something for the visitors.

Meanwhile, for the second weekend in a row, Queen's University were involved in a scoreless draw, this time away to Dergview.