This website uses cookies. Please click "Accept and Close" to accept the use of cookies on our website. By continuing to browse our website you consent to the use of cookies on this website.

For more information on how we use cookies please visit our Cookie Policy page, or visit our Privacy notice page for more information on how we manage and use data.



05 Mar 2022
© Luis Moore/HW Welders FC Action from Ferney Park

Annagh United moved to the top of the Lough 41 Championship on a high scoring weekend that also produced victories for Ards, HW Welders and Dundela as well as six goals being shared at Darragh Park.

Ciaran McGurgan's men assumed the top spot thanks to a 4-2 away win over bottom of the table Queen's University in addition to morning leaders Newry City's involvement in the Irish Cup.

Goals from Ryan Harpur and Ryan Moffatt put Annagh into a commanding position at the break and whilst Queen's pulled one back through Marc McKenna further strikes from Stephen Murray and Ross Hunter secured the points for the visitors.

HW Welders leapfrogged Ballinamallard United into third place with a 3-0 win over Harry McConkey's side at Ferney Park. Scott Davidson opened the scoring with around ten minutes left in the first half but it took two late goals in the final quarter-of-an-hour from Charlie Dornan and Jake Corbett to make sure of victory for the Welders.

Ards were top scorers with a five-goal defeat of managerless Ballyclare Comrades at Clandeboye Park. Matthew Tipton's charges enjoyed a healthy lead at the break through Ross Arthurs, Daniel Reynolds and David McAllister, with McAllister doubling his tally later in the game and substitute Eamon Scannell adding a fifth with a few minutes remaining.

And Dundela also enjoyed a comprehensive home win when they hit four without reply past Institute at Wilgar Park. Eoin Kane kicked the scoring off as early as the tenth minute but it took until just after the hour for David Fearon to make it 2-0 ahead of a late double from substitute Eamonn Fyfe.

Meanwhile, at Darragh Park, Dergview and Knockbreda battled to an equal share of six goals. Ciaran Heggarty fired 'Breda in front on six minutes, Jamie Browne levelled soon after with Matthew Kirk then edging Dergview into the lead from the spot - all before the half-hour mark.

Heggarty levelled for the visitors early in the second half and it looked like they had claimed the win when Liam McKenna found the net on 86 minutes ... but Mikhail Kennedy had other ideas as he bagged Dergview's third five minutes into stoppage time!