04 Nov 2023

Dundela moved back to the top of the Playr-Fit Championship after morning leaders Portadown fell away to Institute on a day that also produced victories for Ards and Ballinamallard United.

The Duns returned to pole position after a 4-2 defeat of Newington at Wilgar Park.

Charlie Dornan opened the scoring midway through the first half, with Jordan Jenkins adding a second close to the break although Paul Donnelly did reduce the deficit for the Swans moments after that.

Jenkins struck again just before the hour but again Newington responded soon after courtesy of a Jack Reilly finish. However, William Faulkner made sure in stoppage time for Stephen Gourley’s side.

Portadown lose their grip on top spot after going down to a solitary goal to Institute at the Brandywell.

Evan Tweed hit a super strike for ‘Stute just a couple of minutes from the break, a win which sees them move to within a couple of points of Niall Currie’s men in third spot.

Ballyclare Comrades are fourth, but they had to come from two goals down to earn a point from Annagh United’s visit to Dixon Park.

First half goals from Stephen Murray and Ruairi McDonald saw the visitors go in at the break on top, but Darius Roohi and the Calvin McCurry responded for the home side in the second half.

And it was honours even, too, for Bangor and HW Welders as they shared the couple of goals scored at Clandeboye Park.

Matthew Ferguson nodded the Welders in front as early as the third minute but Adam Neale levelled just after the half-hour mark to complete the scoring.

New Ballinamallard United manager Tommy Canning got off to a winning start after watching his side defeat bottom of the table Knockbreda by the odd goal in three at Breda Park.

Guillaume Keke had fired ‘Breda in front after a quarter-of-an-hour but goals from Ryan Morris and Aaron Harkin in stoppage time at the end of each half saw the Mallards claim the points.

Meanwhile, Ards hit three goals without reply past Dergview at Darragh Park.

Aidan Steele opened the scoring midway through the first half, Eamon Scannell added a second on 55 minutes before Callum Dougan wrapped things up late on.