22 Sep 2023
© Stephen Hamilton/INPHO Andy Ryan scored twice for Larne

Larne moved back to the top of the table with a convincing derby victory, while two late goals helped Coleraine defeat Glentoran and Newry City and Dungannon Swifts shared the spoils.

Glentoran started the evening in pole position, and looked to be holding onto their spot after James Singleton edged them in front after 25 minutes at home to Glentoran with a header from Shay McCartan’s free-kick.

But the Bannsiders pressed for the equaliser throughout and finally grabbed it on 79 minutes courtesy of Matthew Shevlin’s nodded finish from Lee McLaughlin’s cross.

Then, remarkably, just three minutes after that Conor McKendry edged the visitors in front after getting past Sule into the box and fire a strong strike into the bottom right corner.

Two goals each from Paul O’Neill and Andy Ryan saw Larne sweep to a 4-1 victory over Carrick Rangers in the derby at Inver Park.

The league champions needed just a quarter-of-an-hour to move in front thanks to a wonderful O'Neill finish that brought him in front the right before firing past Ross Glendinning into the top corner.

Ryan doubled Larne's lead on 31 minutes. Leroy Millar found O'Neill alone in the area, but his finish was parried by Glendinning only into the path of Ryan who made no mistake in finding the net.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, Ryan doubled his tally for the night to extend Larne's advantage after connecting with Tomas Cosgrove's pinpoint cross to head home at the back post.

Carrick thought they had pulled one back early in the second half but Danny Purkis' strike was ruled out offside.

There was no denying Purkis on the hour, however, when he did get his name on the scoresheet after unleashing a stunning effort from inside his own half beyond the reach of Rohan Ferguson and into the net.

However, O'Neill bagged his second of the evening on 78 minutes to make sure of the points with a well-executed header from a Joe Thomson cross.

Meanwhile, at The Showgrounds, Newry City and Dungannon Swifts battled to an equal share of four goals.

City moved in front on 14 minutes after Ciaran O'Connor picked up a loose ball some distance from goal and duly lobbed Swifts keeper Conor Mitchell.

But Dungannon hit back just moments later when Ethan Devine headed home from close range.

And Devine struck again on the stroke of half-time with his second of the evening to edge the Swifts in front with another header after meeting Thomas Maguire's cross.

Newry might have levelled midway through the second half only for Adam Salley to send a half volley off target from close range, but, with four minutes to go, they did knock home the equaliser when Adam Carroll headed a corner in off the back post.

The action continues on Saturday when Ballymena United host Cliftonville, Crusaders welcome Glenavon to Seaview while Linfield travel to Lakeview Park to take on Loughgall. Kick-off 3pm.